Sunday, April 5, 2015

Last Try-out


Next time is for real. Today was just for show.
I had to fill the tanks, and the only Marina with pumps is a couple of miles North of mine. It was a good excuse to test all systems before the big jump.

At 6AM, the marina is a lake.
There is something exceptional with the early morning aboard a boat.


Sailing close hauled.
No, there is no autopilot. At this point of sail, the boat could go on alone for ever.

Coming back to Ensenada, with the tanks fulls.
I usually motor at that point, but I want to save mu fuel for the real trip :)

Another big mess. I jammed the furler again.
But this time, the sail dropped easily, thanks to my new halyard.
It is actually way easier to reset with the sail down than up :)

I decided to not install the autopilots, I am convinced they will work, and I wanted to challenge myself to do all without autopilot. Who knows :)
The good news is confirmed, the boat points and sail by itself to the wind. Going downwind is another story, you have to take the wheel. Dropping sail with the furler jammed was kinda fun without the autopilot, but I had to try it :). I did some close quarter maneuvers, I really have some trouble with this boat going backward. It has some much inertia and prop walk, it is really tricky. Leaving the slip, I was close to do my 360 inside the slip as I was failing to go straight back for 30 feet. Unbelievable.

Overall, the boat is in great shape and works as expected.
The last but big cloud on the horizon is the satphone data I cannot get to work on my new Mac OS.
That close from the departure, I begin to think I won't be able t fix it, and we would have to rely on our landcrew to drive us safely. The voice and the Sms works, and that's the most important anyway.
But I spend so much time to figure how to get those gribs files and update for the blog, that this really piss me off.
Damn technology :)
Well, at sea, we can always try the weatherfax through the low band radio waves.
That's old school, but it might work.I am equipped for, anyway :)

In any case, the weather looks really good for next week, and I do not see what could stop us to go.
Fair winds !




No comments :

Post a Comment