Monday, December 21, 2015

Goutified ?


Something really weird happened the four days after the marathon.
As I was getting ready to run again, let's jog again, few days later, an excruciating pain rose from my left foot.
My first hypothesis was directed on a wrong move, maybe in my sleep, and some post trauma (a marathon can be considered as a minor trauma for the body) joint pain, maybe a tendinitis.
After few days of limping, it seems that Gout, or Gouty Arthritis might be the actual problem.

Ugly and swollen.

Gout likes to hit around the Big Toe - "metatarsophalangeal joint" - Mostly because those joints are the lowest point of your body and furthest from your pumping heart. Cold, i.e. lower body temperature would ease the crystallization of uric acid.
Mostly men in their forties or fifties (I am not feeling younger right now), might be some heredity factor, main factors being poor alimentation (not my case) or dehydration and joint fatigue. 
Running a marathon under the Hawaiian sun is well known to cause high dehydration, it is frequent to lose more than 4 or 5 pounds of (mostly) water during a long effort like this one.
Well, the symptoms matches and the cure too :

Magic remedy
 
Unsurprisingly the mother of all remedies works pretty well in this case - as my symptoms are overall pretty light, even if this is almost impossible to lay over my foot.
Apple Cider Vinegar alkalize the PH of the body and help dissolve the tiny crystals formed in the joints. Add a couple of cold water buckets and anti inflammatory cream, and it seems we are on the good path of healing.

I the mean time, I can't walk, can't run, can't surf, can't kite, can't sail.
As always, I can swim. 
Well, at the pace I am getting hurt nowadays, I am gonna be such a good swimmer eventually.

No comments :

Post a Comment