Wednesday, June 22, 2016

If you are hurt (3) ...



Strength and flexibility goes together.
From being a robot made of sticks and rocks, I built some kind of  almost humane body - I won't say flexible yet- still, it is amazing the progress I made those last couple of years, to the point I am not that awkward anymore in a yoga class - or at least, I like to think so.
Of course, when you do not know where I started from, it is hard to realize.

This is war !

We often compare with Christelle her "Yoga's way" - from a body perspective, not the spiritual aspect of it -  and traditional western therapies, like your typical 'PT' approach. Of course, there is good and bad ways to do it, but it is surprising that "breakthrough" like active stretching have actually existed for hundreds of years in the Yoga practice. Ancestral therapeutic yoga seems way more beneficial to me than its modern derivatives, that have more in common with Zumba or gymnastic than anything else I could think of.   As expected, they were spot on. And it just takes us years to put a western twist on it.


If you stretch, do it properly. 

Some fundamentals of Wharton's method, slow, short efforts, breathing synchronized, isolated stretches, active and leveraging muscle antagonism remind me a lot of our Ayengar weekly practice. I cannot deny the impact of Yoga on the progress I made those last years and allowed me to be back on the road.
Practice often, daily if possible, don't desperate, the body is a wonderful machine and it might takes months or years, but you will see progress.
Just have to make sure you practice the right way, the meaningful way.
It is not glorious or advertised, but it is out there, you just have to pay attention and find the right people, or the right books.
As always.
And that will take time. But there are no shortcuts.
And as always, it's the journey that matters the most anyway.


No comments :

Post a Comment