Saturday, January 21, 2017

Relentless Forward Progress



For the curious, this is the title of an ultra-marathoner guide. How-to.
Based on the title (did not read yet) it seems that perseverance is key.
Well, in that case, I am playing at the ultra-cruiser nowadays.

Alright, because it has been a good 2 weeks, a special super long super boring list of the fixes/work on this damn boat.

Before the sunset.


Second time I redo the water pump gasket.

Third time I redo the tank inspection plate.

Fourth, or fifth time the transmission oil drain gasket

Those cloth pins, all stainless, are amazing.

We found a bit of time for a sea trial for the "fix" for the engine.
Sailing was nice, motoring was NOT nice. Fix did not work at all.

Finally fixing the toilets cover (Two years ago ?)



CWR Hawaii. Paradise of the rigger. More later.

Liferaft service. Getting ready for the next trip ?

All good. I feel lighter of 1300$.

Molly's Art to decorate the cabin

Removing the life lines, the boat feel naked.

Paradise of the metal worker. More later.

Garmin GNX wireless was a failure. Up to the mast, Back to the factory.
We are going wired. Ouch. More work to come.

Before

During. The sell a kit 'DYI lifelines'.
Time consuming but saving big bucks. (Rigger estimate 1000$).

After. No coating. Cheaper, and less subject to rust.
Little rough on the palm though.

To run one cable I had to pull put 150' chain and my old tackle ground.
150' pounds !

That's how I like it !

Just in case you thought the aft was better.

Windlass cables, across all boat. Awg2, Big & heavy, 100A.
Tooling for crimping is Hammer style.

Hard to see, but that's the solenoid of the windlass.
Had to pull one battery out. Dealing with awg2 cables is not easy.

Before

After. We broke that two years ago. It was time.
Those first weeks on Oahu, I have mixed feelings. The arrangement of not working too much on the boat, training as possible and work normally makes it way easier. Downside, the work on the boat go slower. O surprising.
I was fearing the moment to finish the electrical work on the windlass but so far I am 80% in, and it seems to go very well. "Professional Installer Only". Well, I guess I am a pro.
Disclaimer : Did not try it yet :)
The engine is still my biggest problem. Unreliable at best,  we could not really work on it because I need it to go to the haul-out next week for the bottom paint. Really annoying.
I don't talk about the electronic. Back to Garmin, Jeez. 50 ft mast ? Really ? just good for a dinghy IMHO.
But the other stuff - Double solar panel, the ladder, the various gaskets, the windlass, progress is good.

Next week will be key. Windlass. Bottom Paint and Yard.
If I hit that, only the engine will be on 'Major' issue list.

Oh yeah, nowadays, I dream of more space, less work. Just need 500K$.

Seawind 1600. Comfortable. Fast. Expansive.

Sacrilege ?




No comments :

Post a Comment