Saturday, May 11, 2019

TTT

Few days back I signed for the TTT - Tantalus Triple Trek - three ascent on the Tantalus summit on Oahu end of August.
This is roughly a 30 miler ultra run - 50km. Just a bit longer than a marathon.
Not that impressive, except when you consider the conditions and the elevation.
This ain't your typical road race.


3 times up, and 3 times down. 6000 feet of elevation

This is considered a 'hard' race. Well. It is part of the H.U.R.T series after all.
I have zero idea of what to expect, but assuming I could do the Makawao Forest 5x at 1:30 per lap, that would be roughly 7:30 of running for the same elevation.
It seems they have time cut-off at 9h and the best runners did it in roughly 4:30.
That is unreasonable.
The good news is that if I like it and finish it in time, this acts as a qualifier for the HURT 50 in October.
Ah.Ah.Ah.Ah.


Steady volume over the last 6 months
The good news is I have been able to maintain a great volume of running those last 6 months, close from the max volume before a marathon (30h/ week). Nowadays I am averaging 5 running days at 1h+ and the long run at 3h, for a total of 8-10h of running a week.
That's a lot.

Another Poli Poli run
I did a few full Poli Poli loops (2:45) to test gear and because why not.
But most of the time, I just meditate looping the 6 miles of the forest next door, Kahakapao trail.


Dozen of the Makawao Forest Loop
The body is holding up - weirdly enough pain migrated from the left knee to the right one - I take this as a good sign - and I was able to to some intense speed work at the track downtown.

Tracking
Steadily I saw over the last few years my zone 2 cruising speed going from 10:15 to the mile down to 8:50. This is one of the surprising effect of zone 2 training, relentless training in easy zone with high volume make you stronger and faster overall, assuming one day of hills or speed / week.

Every morning I am doing 20 minutes of strengthening and a full session at the gym a week when not travelling as well. This seems to pay. Today, for the first time of my life, I climbed the rope up to the top.
I guess I am not too far from my top shape.
But will that be enough for the TTT or will this race - my first ultra - kick my ass ?
I still have 3 months to train.
Which looks like a lot and lot of more miles....

No comments :

Post a Comment