Saturday, January 9, 2016

Ego and I


Sometimes I am amazed of what we accomplished those last couple of years. Some will call it plain luck, others, hard work. Well, I don't believe in luck and I don't play the odds. I bet to win.

Sailing back toward Lahaina on a North wind.
Almost typical. We get used to everything, too fast.
Events around us brought me some old memories, related to my struggle with Ego. Early career success bring you confidence, and its dark side, self-esteem exaggeration. A good sign you are lost to it, is when, tired to fight with your boss, you are thinking to built your own company. It might work if this is a one person thing. Bad employee will produce bad manager...
And if your ego is endangering your career, it is certainly affecting your day to day life.
Took me years to stop blaming the others, my boss, my company, my life.
Letting go, taking some (measured) risks, and accept to learn, learn and learn more. 
Be humble and hungry, as we say at Riot. So true, so hard.

I don't think I am a sailor. Every time I manage to go out, have fun and not lose anything or anyone at sea, I see that as a miracle. This is far from a lack of confidence - we just crossed the Pacific, we should be able to do a couple of tacks at 3 miles of the coast - it is just a new experience, a perpetual discovery. And that's why it works.

Worth reading.


I don't have big ideas about sailing, if we do it right, or could do it better. We just make it work a mile after the other.
The good news is that we will be able to practice that next week while bringing the boat to Oahu.
The bad news is that there is not an once of wind right now, and we might have to pull the boat swimming. 
I guess this is not that time we will fight the Molokai channel (Kaiwi channel) on his own ground.

It is a lake.


At least if we have enough diesel to reach Honolulu.



No comments :

Post a Comment