Saturday, March 26, 2016

Time matters


Been a while already I figured that our more precious resource was time. No surprise it is always a fight between employee and employer, one hour more, one hour less.
Rich or poor, we all have roughly the same amount given at birth.
Then the question becomes, what do you do with it.


Let us cultivate our garden.

I am starting (only now) to understand that money or power do not give you better time. It might  detach you of basic needs, food, shelter but attach new to unknown fears. Fear to lose your status, your money, or plain boredom, frivolity.
Only by owning less, you get rid of the fear of losing more.
Time matters.
I reduced greatly my waste of time those last years. Barely watching TV, barely going out or socializing (kinda forced in this weird America land where your friends are not really your friends), skipping shopping, luckily skipping commute.
When you just focus on what you can and want to do, it becomes amazing how much you can accomplish in a day. Getting up early. Work. Train. Kite. Surf. Sail. Have fun.

Now I have a crew to support me on my (not that long) Kula runs.


Nowadays, I am trying to free more time.
I thought about giving up some training, or gardening.(I gave up on my attempt to become car mechanic though). Boat maintenance is always in parenthesis, this is a bet on the long run.
Training takes a lot of time. between 1 hour to 3 or 4 every day. When you start to run long distances, maybe I am running too slow - who knows - it starts to take a lot of time. Recovery. Massage. Stretching. CrossTraining.
But I cannot give that up. Actually, I know running, or swimming, or even gardening, paradoxically, while eating a bunch of my time, increase greatly the quality of my remaining time.
I cannot count the number of times I solved a problem from work while running, of blew up accumulated steam (Actually, running saved my career more than once), or just made me wiser, more focused.
If I could, I am pretty sure meditating will give me those benefits and certainly more.
But as I can't, I run(*).
(*You might have noticed my IT Band is getting better :).)

Back on the road, Baby, let's bring the quality time in our life again.

No comments :

Post a Comment