Sunday, October 11, 2015

Back on the boat...


Hurricane season is over. At least , I am calling it over. Been a while I did not do much on the boat, and it was about time to check on the mooring.
And whale season is coming, time to get ready.

Coming in to Mala, this time, it is calm. Flat as a lake. I should be able to do some work.

Mala Wharf

It is always an endeavor to go check on the boat. Load the truck. Unload the truck. Some much stuff. And I got a bot to live simpler (One day...)

Truck is loaded
Setting up the dinghy takes me 20 minutes. I got it to a science at this point.

Traces tender is loaded. Shade Tarp, Sails, Covers.

We actually did some work, back home, preparing stuff. Sails have been properly fixed, by Maui Sails. Tarp shade has been prototyped in the yard.

Boat is still there.

Always a relief. I am not sure I will ever get used to have it attached to a mooring, in the middle of nowwhere, tethered only by one tiny - well, 1.5" diameter - nylon line.
You can notice sails are off the mast. Fear of hurricanes....

Shade try-out
Shade is far from perfect, but it will provide the basic sun protection that is needed to do any kind of work on the boat. Sun is hitting hard on the West side.

Old Mooring lines. New mooring lines.
Most of the afternoon will be swimming and struggling with the lines and shackles. I am switching to the 30' feet nylon line setup - nice for hurricanes and storms, lots of scope and stretch well, to the shorter typical setup, less tangles, easier to pickup and retrieve and less abrasion.

Tiny autopilot might be enough. 

With the windvane off the boat and nowhere to be ready - I did not even started to look at the issue, I needed a backup autopilot solution. The small Autohelm was meant to drive the windvane when the wind is too low, but I was not very happy with the results. It won't hold the boat in a storm, but to motor if it's flat. Might be enough.
Well, we will see soon.

Did not have the time to put the sails back on, but overall, a small step forward, and, under the shade, it was actually pretty confortable, with the gentle breeze at sea.
I just crossed 2 items on the infinite list of things to do on this boat.
Yeah. Your math are correct. Infinite - 2 = Infinite.


No comments :

Post a Comment