Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Progress (A bit)


One week later, no counting late nights,
we are starting to see some progress here and there.

The stove and the propane locked was an endless fight. That I almost lost several time.

Fiberglass version of the Propane storage.
Obviously, Abandoned.
Locked.
This is the first attempt. Need to do better. Later.
Wood and Epoxy version.
Good enough for now.
Fit all this in the stern Lazarrette was a millimeter thing.
At the same time, I am finally putting backing plates for the windwane...
Which make our transom awesome.

Back in the boat, in the Galley, I was pulling off the walls ....

That's the behind the scene of the galley wall.
Old electronics disconnect from the seventies.
And a future hatch window ?
The hole is already there.
Back inside.
As I was redoing  the electrical of the solenoid,
I refitted out Neon with leds. No excuses to not do the dishes.
Solenoid installation was not an easy one. But...
That night, I got my first "Real" coffee.
No rest for the warrior, I started to look at my 3nd major item. The backing plates for the bow cleats, that I use for the mooring. Need to be bullet proof.

That's the backside of the Bow.
Your expert eye will have noticed... Nothing !
No freaking backing plate for anything.
I ordered (a while back) thick 1/4" backing plates for the bow cleats.
Did you ever tried to drill through 1/4" Stainless ?
This is not a fun party. Especially for the neighbors.
Bored of drilling through metal ? Let's do a puzzle.

Doctor Maboul.
After dissecting the Windvane,
I have to bring her back to life.
Each of those Ziplock bag holds a dozen of tiny parts. I have to thank the ScanMar website that give a pretty clear explanation and drawing of the windwane. They literally did not change a piece the last 20 years or so, which prove they are .. bullet proof. and working great as is.
But even with good blue prints, it is challenging.

Frankenstein... Working on the head only will take me several hours,
until 1 AM. Rebuilding the bearings one by one, with hair pliers...

They offer to rebuild your Windvane. For one dollar boat, without shipping. Well, I am that cheap, that I prefer to use my -boring- nights to give it a shot.
For the landlubber, a dollar boat is worth nowadays around 1000$ - it usually multiply by 10 every ten years, which is not your typical inflation theory.
Well, that's sailing.


No comments :

Post a Comment