Sunday, August 25, 2013

Number 2


2 times 6 miles 2day ... on ..
2 legs
2 half of the training, first half completed
2 loop of the Makawao Forest
2 hours and
2 times 10 minutes of running
2..6 miles run this week , yes, my first marathon ... spread on a week.

My face at the end of the run
2 times the pain,
2 time the ice
2 scoop of ice cream
2 glasses of wine to celebrate

Last 2 weeks are "patcher" week. We are at mid-course !

At mid-point of the training, my biggest realization is that the body adaption system is amazing. At every run, I am surprised how much the body can progress and how fast you can increase the distances. In less than 2 months, I already double my running time record - ever, and I am running almost 20 kilometers. Finding running path becomes a puzzle if I dont want to turn around in circles too much.

My second realization is that , yes, this training program works in a sense that if you can finish it, I am convinced you can run those 26 miles. This program is draining, and way harder that it looks. The biggest challenge is the number of run and the accumulation of runs. At the beginning, you think that the long runs will be the harder one. Now, I find them alright, my main issue is the small time of recuperation between the runs and the overall weekly mileage. You wake up with sore legs, you start the run they are still sore, and at the end of the run it is worst. And it starts again.

In fact, half of the book/training is about will and mental strength, because you can only run this damn thing if you force your body to do it. Will against flesh. The body wont cooperate, but it doesn't matter.
It doesn't matter, because you are convinced you are a marathoner and you cannot fail. And because you cannot fail, you will succeed.



Shut up and run now !!
In short, If you survive the training, the rest is a piece of cake. A little bit like a training camp for Marines, except you don't die at the end in a full metal jacket.


No comments :

Post a Comment