Saturday, January 26, 2013

2013 - Part 4


Back to sailing. In this last post about "2013 resolutions" here is the new - or is it old news already- one. Sailing never really went away. Always present in some corner of my twisted mind. I guess the fact that I am doing a monthly check to the Napa Valley Marina is a good reminder as well.
Heard a story about a guy that forgot he had a boat. He was doing automated payment or something, and totally forgot about it. After a couple of years, the marina had really hard time to track the owner of this rotting boat, even if the bill was payed on time every month.

Landing pad for bird poo.

Anyway, If you followed this blog, you know that our "Mobylette" is laying up on the ground, still in the San Francisco Bay. In case, you did read this blog, you may have noticed we do not live there anymore. More like 3000 miles and 5 hours plane from there. Funny, no ?


A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, what felt an eternity, we had some good times together.

Couple of years ago.


We sailed at sunset.


We sailed at night.


We sailed during the day.

We did sail. Not too much. As often as we could. Always in the bay. One time we went under the bridge. In the open ocean ;) - That was something. Back to our blog. Wipe away this nostalgic tear. I have been thinking a lot about this situation, Us here, Her over there. As you noticed, I think a lot ;).


Maybe this book , helped to take a decision.
Breaking Seas: An overweight, 
middle-aged computer nerd buys his first boat, 
quits his job, and sails off to adventure
by Glenn Damato

The end is quite surprising, but you will have to read it, to make your own opinion.

First he did the Ha Ha too. He pointed the legal disclaimer.
“The Ha-Ha is a high risk activity open only to those gladly willing to risk injury and death in the pursuit of adventure.”
He became a little philosophe.
"I believe we are not humans who occasionally have a brief spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a brief human experience"

Frankly, If he did it, why not me ? And guess what... I already have the boat, and already know how to sail ... In the bay, at least.

...

This decision, like a bet. I am lowering her price down to what we bought here, 3 years ago, and getting ready to let her go for a little less, let s say, maximum 10% off the listing price. Seems like a deal. If she goes, she goes. But there is a dead line, not sure yet, certainly early May. If in May, she did not sell, she goes to Mexico. We go to Mexico. I will outfit her during this summer and we will go down the coast to join the Baja Ha Ha in San Diego, and go off for two weeks of sailing along the Baja coast, certainly aiming to another lay-up in Mazatlan.

What does that mean ? I will certainly post more details about the actions and consequences of this choice - bet. But that would be a challenge. At least for me. But I begin to fell I want - I need to be challenged again. Push the boundaries of what I can do. I begin to dream - and fear it at the same time - that she does not sell.
In the mean time,
Back to the books


Wait and see. What fate is saving for me for this year.


No comments :

Post a Comment