Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My life without pants




But with a surfer short.
This is a first rule when you are working at home : "Get dressed".
Obviously, you need to start your day somehow.

Scott Berkun wrote a nice book on the underground of working remotely and how a company can embrace it culturally, fully. And how it is proven to work, under some specific setups.

Cover of the book

I have been working remote for more than two years now.
And it works for me.
I could go on and on about the positive and negative aspects from both side, employee and employer.
But I have another of summarize it:

Remote work is an amplifier. Good practices, Work output, focus, social aspects, work and life balance, production values, enterprise culture, you name it.

If your enterprise is doomed to fail because of disorganized production practices, it will only go faster with remote people. Soon, they will be wandering around, asking what to do and how to do, when people on site will just be sitting at their desk chatting on Facebook.
If you have trouble to focus at home to work, I bet you are not the most productive either in a more typical workplace environment.

Gecko working remotely from home.

Myself ?
Amplification leads to optimization. I am excessive in what I do, I cherish my spare time and my life and work balance, and I like to work hard to create awesome things.
It fits me like a glove.
It allows me to optimize a lot of aspects in my life or in my work that are impossible in a typical setup. Commute. Meetings. Communication. Output.



If you follow my thought, you should realize that if you find yourself incapable to do your actual work from home (if the job is "remotable", of course), it is likely you are not doing your job on site at your full capacity.
IMHO.



No comments :

Post a Comment