Thursday, January 9, 2014

Replenished


One of the great thing you can do when you monitor that closely your food intake and calories burning rate, is to do quick experiments, like the last couple of days. I have been logging a few extra hundreds of calories than my daily needs, in the hope to refill carbohydrates stores, and see the impact on my running form.

I went back to a 145 pounds morning weight, i.e. more than 2 pounds than two days ago, but yesterday, the last run was a breeze.
Compared to the struggle of the the previous ones earlier this week, I was flying through the 6 miles all along. I even beat my personal record without racing on one leg, by almost 5 minutes on a one hour run.

Running after this, I felt like I was 12 again.
Maybe it was the magic Vega Gel I tried too ;)


It is just amazing how you feel better when your body is correctly fueled. Dieting while training is usually unadvised, except for a small amount like 300 calories / day max. Which was roughly my goal. I still suspect the Garmin HRM method of counting burned calories while exercising, while way more accurate than Strava or other methods, is aiming at the low side of the spectrum, which caused bigger deficit than expected.
Then my that would explain my hard times on the earlier runs.


Anyway, dieting is over for now, until the marathon anyway, and I will be focusing on a steady 2000 daily intake, i.e. just enough for weight maintenance. That should be more than enough to be full - but not heavy - for the race.

Enough for the theory. Let's go get some more miles again !



No comments :

Post a Comment