Sunday, January 26, 2014

Closing the marathon


According to the training book-log, once you have done your fist marathon, there are two kind of persons. Either you are hooked, or you just crossed one of the item of your bucket list. Sometime you go back to light jogging on week ends, or shorter race preparation.
Or you sign off for your next one right away.


Toward the end, it was hot, very hot.

I guess I am hooked. Running became part of my life, and the benefits in term of peace of mind, slick body and overall wellness are really tangible. Finishing your first marathon boost your confidence, but the training itself slowly built it already.


Done!

A marathon is taxing. To the point, it is recommended to not to more than one per year.
And I have not been taxed that much. It seems that my recovery program worked really well. More on that later, but at least, I was able able to stretch fully after it. Only residual pain for two days was on my left knee, weirdly, that is a first. It eventually disappeared and I was able to do a couple of recovery as soon as two days after the race.

Stretching in paradise

After the race, I was extenuated, but I had way more trouble and pain in a couple of the past long runs during the training. Looking back, it was not that hard after all. I guess if you are well prepared ;)
I promised myself a couple of months of relaxed running and a focus on other activities like .. surfing  .. and working. Now I proved myself on the road, I still have to do it (again and again) in my new team.
But that's cool.
I am motivated and confident.
Training is like walking the path, and reaching the finish line of this one was certainly not the end of this one.
I am unable to meditate sitting, but I recognize the merits of the running experience.

Who knows, maybe you can reach illumination by accumulating road miles, like Forrest Gump ?



No comments :

Post a Comment