Sunday, December 22, 2013

Road to recovery


Running long is cool, but If you do not pay attention to your recovery, You will not do it often.
Myself, I usually feel very tired after the run, and all along the day. Now, I am stretching just after the run for half and hour. It is helping, but not magical by any mean. At least, after this, I can go back on my bike which seemed totally impossible an instant before.
I used to take some Ibuprofen, but now the pain is bearable, proof that either, I hydrate and eat better, or my body adapts to the stress of the run.
I can still feel a light headache and obviously, very sore muscles. Tension in the back and shoulders, too.

Calves after the long run.
Blood fed.

One technique for the day after the run, to ease recovery, is do to a quick slow run. Mostly to get the blood flowing.

After run snacks.
Notice the 30g organic protein bar ;)
Proteins are key elements in the rebuilding of the muscle. If you do not eat lots of meat, you are back to whey protein supplements, usually in energy bar, or vegan sport recovery substitute, like Vega. Intake of carbs to refuel the muscles is important too. Coffee is not advised - it is a diuretic - but, well, it was the morning after all.

Stretching the back... hard.

Stretching the psoas, even tighter

But this morning, I found that the sun salutations really helped. A long series stretched all the sore muscles and I began to feel my body moving again. I just got back 30 years in 10 minutes, before it, I was limping like a retired war invalid. Add a 45 minute swim on top of that, and I feel ready to tackle tomorrow's easy 5 miles.

As you can see, this is winter in Hawaii. I have a sweatshirt in the early morning ;)


No comments :

Post a Comment