Saturday, December 28, 2013

The last of the long runs

I was a bit anxious for this one as well. 20 miles is quite long and I was feeling again my usual right hip psoas pain. To the point I iced it yesterday night, a first in a while. I picked a new route, which will bring me to the start of the Crater road. Starting at 6AM, the only issue is the relatively important elevation, which will slow things down. 

Halaekala Hwy, in the early morning.
Very few traffic
Kula and his historical garage
We should go check this place someday
At the foot of the volcano, a cute lodge.
22 Miles to go, and all going up.
Not today
As usual, the magnificent view of the  Kihei shores
Kekaulike Road, Kula
Kekaulike Road, Kula,
with funny picture quality

Cobb Street, going up.
Hard to realize on this picture, but after 2:30 of runs,
it was like a wall.
Run summary

Overall, the run went very well. The overall pacing do not seem too bad, related to the climb (+1500ft up and down) which kills my legs both ways (in fact, I prefer going up than down, at this point). I keep my heart rate always lower than before, between 110 and 130, which is the low part of the cardio zone, and high part of the fat burning zone. More on this later.

At this pace, running that long is no more a real issue, and I am now confident I will be able to push it to 26 miles. 
I was very tired, though, coming back home ;)


No comments :

Post a Comment