Monday, September 15, 2014

Reconciled with surfing


My buddy John took me for an early Sunday morning session on the Lahaina side of Maui, to make most of the peaking south swell - maybe the last of the summer season.

Maui is colorful...

On the way, I picked his long board, I wanted to verify my new theory. I knew I like paddlesurf and kitesurf because it maximize the number of waves you can take, and there is almost always something going on if you look for it. Now, on a long  board, I am convinced - and the fact that we had a left for two hours all to ourselves made it easier - that the number of taken waves and time riding is more important than the tricks and turns I am going to do (realistically, fails) on the face itself.
The simple way of riding a long board, the zen and relaxing aspect of the glide itself, and the tiny dancing moves and foot tricks you can do, now I do believe:
This is the way it is meant to be ridden.
I can see why the old folks prefers long boards. Maybe I am getting wiser.
Or just getting older.

Looooong board style


Man, I need to rent Surfer Dude once more.
Quote of the day : "Now I am ready to watch Surfer Dude again."




No comments :

Post a Comment