Monday, September 1, 2014

Oxnard - Day Off -


Still grounded for this wonderful week end of Labor Day.

6AM. Living in the fog.

Fog like this in the morning calls for a hot day windless. Anyway, I am still on the hard. Then, wind, no wind. who cares ?
I am starting to run out of things to do on the boat. Just kidding. Anyway, I decided to take a break this Saturday and go for a surf session. I have been weeks in Ventura County and never did it yet.
The coast is amazing and I already lurked several surf spot on the road along the coast.
Usually the conditions looks excellent in the morning. Only - but sizable - negative point : It is crowded. Everywhere. Every time.



C-Street. Lots of people.
Of course, I am still doing some stuff. In this case, I am preparing the work for the yard next week as soon as we get the coupler. Cleaning the support for the strut.

There is at least 5 layers of stuff before hitting the fiberglass.
Way more work than expected.
Unsurprisingly, we discovered a typical messy job from another yard. They redid the Strut at one time in the life of the boat, without even removing the bottom paint. I counted at least 5 layers.

Black bottom paint.
Dark green bottom paint.
Gelcoat.
Old Green bottom paint.
Gelcoat.
Grey Epoxy filler / putty.

Obviously, some layers do not bound together very well, then this is just a pointless losy job.
At least, in my yard, they do the job properly - when they decide to do it.

Eventually, it came out pretty good.
And this surf session ? Actually, surprisingly fun (I hate crowd, in general, and more specifically in surfing).
Switched back to a long board when I realized the number of people with long boards who will steal all the waves. And it was small anyhow.2-5 feet. But clean. And good waves.

Fog is slowly burning out.
That will be a sunny day !

So long I did not wear my wetsuit !
Water was cold, but eventually, I forgot about it. This is summer in SoCal. Some surfers were actually not wearing wetsuits at all.

Chilling out between 2 sessions.
There is a good vibe on this beach.
I finally realize I am in California :)

Fun peaky waves, couple of feet and little more some time. Easy peasy.

Eventually, we got the blue sky.
Ventura in the back.
Maybe I am just getting old, but I had a lot of fun with a long board. I am starting to think that the fact I am surfing less those day in HI is because I stick to my short board. If i was to become proficient with a long board, I can forsee a lot of fun.
Need to think about it.
There is something very zen of gliding on those big boards effortlessly.
Maybe I just need to realize I will never be Kelly Slater ( I am not trying very hard too), 
and just go big :)


No comments :

Post a Comment