Saturday, March 28, 2015

Spring is here ... Time to sail !



Now that this running shenanigan is over, I can focus on my next challenge for the year, and not a small one, at least for me.
Bringing our sailboat, Traces, from Ensenada, Mexico to Maui.
We scheduled a departure date around the 4/9, i.e. a little more than one week from now. I am getting some help with an old friend from France, Gilles, must be like 15 years I did not see him. He has serious sea legs, compared to me, having done a 2 year long cruise in the Atlantic, on his own sailboat.
I would be really surprised if he was to let me down 2 days before the crossing :), but I am ready anyway. I promised myself to cross this time, and even Solo if needed. With the small autopilot and the medication, I am better equipped than last time. And psychologically ready.


The Pacific High took her place for summer...
Stay there ! It is perfect.

At this time of the year - just before the official cyclonic season, the only risk is the lack of wind for a couple of days. It is still early in the season, and sometime the High is not well placed yet. Leaving from Mexico could  be an issue too, as the winds could very lights - or inexistent - at that time of the year. But at the moment, the Grib files - not to be trusted , 10 days in advance, show a very stable High and a great wind pattern for the crossing.

2233 nautical miles.
Between 15 and 20 days at sea.
For such a long distance, the straight line is not the shortest route, but we are talking about 2200 nautical miles, or 4000 kilometers. That's a long way to be done at a speed of a turtle with wings. The typical cruiser sailboat can hit between 6 or 7 knots per hour, with good winds, and cover 150 to 180 nautical miles per day. We do not stop at night :)

It sounds surrealistic that in 10 days,  I will leave on our sailboat and bring her home.
So long we have been prepared for this.
Years in the making, if you account for our first boat in the Bay Area.
After the failed attempt of last November, now we are so close !
So close to untie the lines ...
And follow the trade winds.
A dream is coming true .. soon.



No comments :

Post a Comment