Friday, October 19, 2012

When did it really start ?

All this mumbo-jumbo about giving a sense of your life is fine, but, between you and me, we know that all comes from a trigger, usually, from a fundamental fear. Why did I really decide to change my way of living ?
Easy.
One week after moving-in in Maui, I could barely walk. Surfing, or Kitesurfing was way out of my league.
What is your most primal fear ?
Mine is to be living in paradise of surfing and kitesurfing and watching the action days after days from the beach, limping and groaning. Any addicted will confirm. More than privation, the constant exposure is the hardest part. While you are trying to stop smoking, dont go to bars or clubs. Make sense, no ?.


Little like this. With a walking stick.

As you can see, I was not in too bad shape, when we arrived. At least, I thought. I even have a cool San-O T-Shirt to prove that I did paddle-surfing and surfing almost 3-4 times a week during one year when living in Orange County.

Then, why could I not walk anymore after 5 days of kiting in paradise ?

Few complicated words.
In a few simpler words,
If you are a Desk Jockey, do not pretend to be Kelly Slater.

Or to be able to surf a door. Well, he can. (what cant he do ?)

Cause of it all ?
Sitting all day on the computer.

Prolonged sitting, especially when combined with a forward head posture–such as we often find in our computer-centric society–shortens the iliopsoas muscles. Even sleeping or driving, if the posture places the iliopsoas in a shortened state for too long, can compromise its resting length.

Back Pain ? related.

This one is the b**ch. Connecting the lower back to your pelvis front, it is the source of back pain, hip flexor pain, and through IT Band, knee pain.
Look for Psoas - Back Pain on Google. You will know what I mean. It is surprising how many people are suffering - and they do not even surf !



How do that works. Sitting all day, without streching, shorten the psoas. It moves your bottom pelvis backward, which bulge your stomach , move your butt backward, compress your spine and its vertebraes.
Back pain.
Now try to run after sitting all day. Pull like a crazy on it. Well, inflammation, bursitis, tendinitis.
Didnt they say the psoas is not a Hip Flexor?  Then why do I use it when I run (or pull my leg upward toward my chest). Here is the trick. Weak core muscles. Weak abs.
No core, and your psoas and hip flexors do all the work. It is call body adaptation. And it is a double edged sword. Your body will use/ over use your stronger muscles, and the signal that you are pushing too far, or your posture is bad, will come way way too late. You can read that the typical diagnostic for a Psoas tendinitis takes usually several years, in average (36 month). I lived with it since 7 years. Issue is the symptoms are difficult to isolate, that rest makes the pain go away and usually, when you are warm, you dont feel it. You pay the price AFTER the work-out.

Back to the core muscles... 
I have been kiting for 5 years and surfing for 4. I thought I had muscles. I did have some. 
Just the wrong ones. 
First time I tried the plank ? One minute.
Minimum to be considered in shape ? 2 minutes.
Common. Do not believe me ?
Try it.



Core Stability
You'll also want to test your basic core stability.
TEST #1
PERFORM A PLANK: Get into a pushup position, then rest your forearms on the floor. Your body should form a straight line from your head to your feet (don't let your hips sag). Hold the position as long as you can. You pass if you can hold it for two minutes or longer.
 


You fail if you collapse before the two-minute mark, or if your hips dip at any point within that time frame.
TEST #2
PERFORM A SIDE PLANK: Turn onto your side and, keeping your body in a straight line (just as in the plank described above), rest your weight on your forearm. Hold the position as long as you can, then repeat on the other side.
 

You pass if you can hold the position for 90 seconds or longer.
You fail if you collapse before the time is up, or if your hips dip at any point within that time frame.
Fortunately, if you fail at either of those tests you can remedy the problem with the same exercises you used in the tests.
For the next 3-4 weeks, perform both tests 3 times per week, doing 2-3 sets of 30-second holds for each, and working up from there. http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/noglutes.html




Tomorrow: Importance of the core. Part 2.

2 comments :

  1. Very interesting, I was suspecting that it was bad to sit all day but I did not know the direct implications.
    I have been using a standing desk for the past 2 months. I did the plank test after reading your post: 2 minutes (not a second more).
    Yay for standing desks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for standing desks. But it is not that simple ;) never is !
    it is worth a small page on it, then i will derail my blog for this ;), that will be the subject of tonight update.
    **Again, this is only my opinion**

    ReplyDelete