Friday, July 12, 2013

Pain management


It is so common nowadays to run a marathon, it is not even a challenge anymore. Really ? More than 500K people finished a marathon in 2011. Really ? Were you there? Let's make it harder then. For fun, add some recurring hip-flexor pain... In fact, this is my biggest concern and we will have to play Cats and Mouse during all the training period. Icing at night, stretching, stretching, endless stretching.
I can feel it, always there, like a friend, little dear pain in the groin.


Told you I was gonna cut that beard.

It is true it is way less worst than one year ago. But as I am pushing my limits, I am playing with fire. I just need to revisit my relationship with this injury. Quoting my 'marathon training book' :

“Oh, there you are, pain; I’ve been waiting for you. Come run with me.”

I do not want to make it worse though, and get stopped on the curbside early. But it is comforting to know that the more you are hurting, the more your muscle and your body is adapting.
What does not kill you make you stronger, they say.

Well, we will see.


No comments :

Post a Comment