Friday, August 15, 2014

Oxnard - Day 17


Short back and forth to the boat yesterday to check if everything was fine after those couple of weeks away. I was specially wary of ants invasion. Those sneaky insects already found ways to go on the boat, through the prop shaft or the through hulls, and the swinging keel. It is incredible to see how they can find their way in something as complicated as a boat on stands in a yard, knowing that the boat is supposed to hold the water out.

"Power tool" to extract  through hulls.
Makes it very easy actually, once all is setup.

First one out.
Don't pay attention to the multiples cuts, that was my first attempt to pull it.
The bronze is overall alright.

This was actually pretty bad.
You can see the color.
Obviously, the survey did not catch this.
From Inside, preparing the work.
Cut, Cut, Cut, ...

Anatomy of a ThroughHull.
You can see the layers of fiberglass.
The bottom of the boat is very thick: Bomb proof.
A good old boat.

Those plastics one look very weak to me.
Replacement one will be Bronze. 
Gosh. I am glad I decided to change this one.
rotten from the inside.
Scary.

Eventually I decided to replace totally 5 of my 7 through-hulls. The remaining 2 are more recent, I suspect that they added them when they changed the head system, maybe less than 10 years ago. The others one seems to have been mounted with the boat, more than 30 years ago.

To be continued.

No comments :

Post a Comment