Friday, August 22, 2014

Why a Good Old Boat ?


I was digging under the sink to replug some already damaged hosing, when I saw this fine art. Another sculpture of corrosion, certainly been there since the early days of the boat.
Quite depressing and always costly.

Another fine piece of corroded stuff

A couple of comments around me : Is the boat safe ? It looks you are fixing it all the time ... Isn't it too old ? Everything is falling a part. Where is the fun in sleeping in your bilge ?
Etc...

After all those years, I begin to really believe that the pleasure you get back of doing something is proportional of the effort it costed you to achieve it. And I am not talking from a monetary standpoint. Actually, money diminish the value of things by making them too easily accessible. buying a brand new boat does not take any effort, barely. Nowadays, walk down any marina and any dock and you will find a broker ready to give you a boat hand-on-key. Having the money or getting into debt does not really change much, except if it really cost you to spend money. I mean, cost you psychologically and **almost** physically.
But of course, in this case, you should not get a boat at all.  Because that will hurt - a lot.
No Pain, No gain. In short.

Obviously, the price of a used boat is not the same than a new one.
To buy a new Tartan 3700 in 2014, you are looking a t roughly 10x the price of mine, which overall costed less than a brand new New Beetle Volkswagen. For ten times the price, unfortunately, the sailing pleasure will be roughly the same. And I will less worried to abandon the boat in a crisis, if I know I can afford to lose the boat and will not pay 50 years for a sunken boat.
But this is not the point.

Working on your boat, makes you know your boat, In and Out.
Makes you think about the systems you want on your boat. You can feel the burden of installing and maintaining them. Do you really want this watermaker now ? Really ?
You see how materials age. You begin to be aware when they will fail.
Overall, it makes you a better cruiser, if not a sailor.


Would I have bought a brand new boat if I could afford it ?
No.
Would I be the same person if I could afford it ? Certainly not, which make this whole post totally irrelevant.
Let's go back to work on the boat and change this hose.



No comments :

Post a Comment