Tuesday, October 28, 2014

D-Day - 16 : Fueling



Nop. Not fueling before a marathon. This is old story.
Fueling my good old Westerbeke 40 from the 70'. Almost older than me.


Before, there was fudge at the bootom of the filter

Without surprises, it end up with a very very
dirty filter. 

It is obvious that the maintenance of the engine has not been done properly.
After the oil, we still have to do the fuel filters. Hopefully, the fuel pump will not blow up on me like the water pump. The incoming fuel seems contaminated a bit, but the Racor did an awesome job to keep it clean for the engine, as you can see below.
Nice red color.


ZipLock bags as fuel container,
it is an awesome idea (but not mine)
Still, it is a very messy operation. Diesel fuel stinks. Really.
And the vapors give me headache. Obviously, I do not use gloves, and I am not that agile with my hands. I kinda limited the fuel spills, but overall, it was still a big mess.

After cleaning, as new.
After changing the filters, I needed to bleed the lines. Ended up quite eqsy, hopefully I did it correctly. I had to vent the boat fully for one day / one night. but overall it was an Ok operation.
I will buy a couple of other filters, just in case, but hopefully, won't have to change them at sea.
I was almost sea-sick to change them in the marina.
I cannot imagine if you add the rolling into it.
In fact, I can imagine it pretty well, and it won't be pretty :(


No comments :

Post a Comment