Saturday, October 4, 2014

Still afloat


Feels good to be on the water again, even if I cannot move the boat. The gentle swinging on the boat when motorboats cruise next to me, or the wake of the jetski. At least, I have now the company of the sea lions and other birds. There was half of a fish on the dock this morning.
Charming.

Connected the water heater,
 and redone the most worrisome hose connectors.
This is Saturday, which usually, means , working all day on the boat - for a change. Last week was busy at work, and with the leaks crisis, it was sort of stressfull to manage both fronts.
Not surprisingly, the theme of the week end is "water".
Plug back the stuff to be ready for Monday, where I should be able to actually move the boat around.
Amazing.


Filled, checked and worked on the tanks.

Filled the tanks and fixed some stuff around. Now, on top of having the electricity, I have water aboard. And Hot water (not tested yet).

Fixed some leaks.

The remaining leaks were not too worrisome, but I still wanted to have the driest boat ever - which makes no sense, by definition, but anyway, it is worth a try. The good news is all those leaks were actually at the hose connectors, which does not question my actual plumbing work, but just the fact that I did not change those hoses. Hop, I cut here and there, some magic sealant - 4200 3M - and the leaks are gone. There was one exception, but the fitting was not correct, not sure exactly why. Sealant did his job anyway.

Teak work.

The actual list of things to do comes thinner and thinner. (except the VHF antenna issues, but this, I keep for later - or not). I even find the time to fix the non essential stuff, like the teak board under the wheel.(But it was really annoying, moving all the time).
There is still a lot to be done, of course, the list is close from infinite, but, almost nothing is critical at this point,

Opening the treasure bag

One of the last big thing, is my little caprice. A Jordan suite of drogues. The kind of thing you don't want to be using, this is actually last resort, but I spend so much time building the backing plates for it (twice, one for the cleats, one for eye pads), it will be crime not to finish it :) And my mother-in-law spent hours sewing the 109 cones needed for a 37' footer.

225 feet of line
Today, it was only the preparation work. Labeling the lines, measuring and marking.
Math is simple,  109 cones. 128' of 1/2" double braid line, 126' of 5/8" line. 2 bridles. 8 eye splices. 20 pounds of chain. 3 thimbles. 2 shackles.
Lots of fun ahead !

For the curious : www.jordanseriesdrogue.com/




No comments :

Post a Comment