Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Coming Home


After what feel like forever, I am on my way home, to our tiny island in the middle of the pacific, and unfortunately, by plane. (and plenty of bus, this was Mexico after all).
This is rather disappointing, to come back by plane.
I was so excited about doing this passage.
But there is a time for everything.

Last sunset in Mexico
What eventually decided me to come in Mexico, rather continue toward Hawaii, was not -maybe should have been - the lack of medication, or autopilot for the windless days, or the overall lack of solo training to handle the boat.

It was more the psychological factor that I was not ready, and did not prepare for it.

Size does matter.
I prefer them small.
If I compare to the marathon training of last year, they said, the psychological factor is half of it. Usually, your body, if you train accordingly will be able to take it. To be precise you train up to runs of 3 hours, roughly, and usually finish them pretty tired, and the marathon would be actually more than 4 hours. Then there is definitively a big gap between where you left the training and the distance you will actually run during the race.

Baja to San Diego by bus
What they explain is what will make you fail or succeed on your first marathon will be the psychological aspect of the race and the fact you have to be convinced you can and will achieve it.

After 3 days at sea, solo, I realized I was not ready psychologically. I did not prepare for it. And was full of doubts. I am convinced I could have done it, but it would have been painful and unpleasant.
A little like a marathoner that limp and walk the last 4 miles of the race. He will finish it , but will not be that happy about it - compare if you end up running. And he will be in pain.

I never walked while training, and did not walk for the marathon itself.
I bailed out the passage because I do not walk.
When I will do this passage solo, I will be ready for it, and that will be an exceptional experience.
No walking.
And fireworks at the finish line.


No comments :

Post a Comment