Saturday, November 1, 2014

D - Day -12 : Stormy


California weas craving for water. Yesterday, I had my first storm aboard the boat - well protected in the marina - I forgot how loud a boat can be when it is raining a lot.
The bad news is the companion way boards leak quite a lot, but with some trash bags it ended up to be in control.
Ugly, still.


Humid...

The god news is almost all the ports are now leak-free. No need to try with a water hose. It was pouring.

It was falling buckets of water during one hour

Got up early, I still had some work on the engine, to try to fire it up without any lift pump. Ended up to work after another half day spent in the bilge and diesel fumes.
Outside, the weather was better, but not the water.

In the morning, the water in the marina was...
disgusting. Brown and dirty.

My second solo handing with the boat was easier than last time, thanks to the Windvane, but it was rocking outside the gate. 20 knots, 5-7 feet of swell. The beating part was - as always - quite impressive. Coming downwind and surfing the waves is always a pleasure.
I kept the main double reefed. Did not want to be overpowered while solo handing.


Finally, a nice sail !

Coming back to the marina was very stressful. Will it start ? What do I do if not ? I had my back-up plan ready, but it started right away without any problem.
It seems I still have some fuel leak (new ones, after all those fitting I played with), but expect that, all is good.
Another try tomorrow, and maybe one day, maybe, I won't be stressed by a potential engine failure at a critical time.
However, I am building confidence I can - I might - be able to fix it on the spot.
I might even start a new job of diesel mechanic.
It seems the good ones are rarity and make more money than me by the hour.
The list is down under the dozen of items.
Moral is up.
Forecast for tomorrow is good.

Isn't it a high in the rollercoaster ?
what happens next ....


No comments :

Post a Comment