Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Game Over



Yesterday night, my whole crew bailed out.
Cook, Doctor, Navigator, Watchman.
Alright, this is only one person.
Still.
Not that it was unexpected. I had some funky feeling about this a while ago, and played with the idea of recruiting another crew.But it was very very late in the process, and I wanted only people I could trust completely.
Well.
Two days before the departure date, it is a real bummer.
It is true that the weather is really sh**ty this year, and it would have been quite a though ride, specially for rookies like us.
I am still convinced it was doable and safe. Funny and pleasant, maybe not.
One lifetime adventure, certainly.
In those conditions, it would be foolish and really sketchy to do it alone.


She was ready to go 


Damn, I learned a couple of lessons from this.

- Until you are self sufficient, you have to pick your crew very very wisely. I mean very very.
Make sure that expectations, risk level and comfort level are aligned. At the first sign of misalignment, split.
I sailed with my crew (+1) but did not act when I detected misalignment (-10). Thought it might go through. Well, it didn't.

- Have a plan B. Boats are all about redundancy. If you need a crew, it has be to be redundant.

- 3 crews is a certainly the minimum if not solo. 3 allow a balance and momentum in the group. It allows some kind of weighting of decisions and inertia.
2, at least, when you are not a couple, is easily prone to the fracture and opposition, without a 3nd opinion.
Odd numbers seems better to me. Oddly.

- Simplicity of communication is  a must have. People who are particular will be hard to deal with. Just don't. Really.


Now, options are quite limited.
But as always, I have a plan B.
And actually I am quite excited about it :)

No comments :

Post a Comment