Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Winterizing


As I planning a bus/plane marathon to go back to Maui in only one day of travel (Ensenada is only accessible by Bus, and indirectly from US), I am cleaning and ordering the boat.
Idea is to keep the boat in Baja Naval Marina until spring, March/April, which is the next good weather window to do the passage.

Before the hurricane season, and after the winter storms.

Damn huge 130 Genoa,
Stuck.

The big items was to try to remove sails. I never did it before, and wanted to be sure I could. Specially, after I relaized - at sea, of course - I could not drop the Genoa.

Another mast climbing, quite easy this time, helped by a fellow cruiser (who invited me later on for a day sail aboard a almost brand new Beneteau 43' - Another standard).
However, clumsiness or unlucky, it is not as easy as you think to work from the top of the mast, even in calm winds and in a marina,  I got pinched pretty badly with the falling furler.


The picture does not really showcase the actual size of the pinch.
This morning the bruise is the size of a small plate.


No consequences this time, but It made think about the always possibility of dumb accident at sea, which can become extremely problematic if far from the coast, and really dangerous if solo.
To be reflected on.

I really need to improve in packing my sails.
Well, for now, that will do it.
Anyway, today is paperwork - Yesterday was National Holiday and everything was closed,
washing down the boat and a long run to the beach of Ensenada.
Feeling almost like vacations :)

No comments :

Post a Comment