Sunday, November 30, 2014

Limitless



As I was closing my first long run since I decided to get ready for the Big Island Marathon, as usual my mind was wandering around. A typical side effect of being "In Flow", where you do not feel tiredness, but invincible or limitless.
I do not meditate - at least , not the sitting Buddhist mediation - but I can imagine that the being in flow is pretty close from meditating. Thoughts come and go, they do not stick, and it feels extremely good. I guess the drawback of running to reach this state of mind is that usually it does not stick that long , and every half an  hour or so, you will go down, lose the flow and start to feel the pain of running. Well, how do you want to appreciate the ups if you do not have the downs.

Nice news shoes for a new challenge
Old ones were damned done 


It reminds me this dumb movie about body builders that feel invincible, smarter and ended up almost killing a guy to steal from him and impersonate him. Training hard and succeeding in your training can actually bring you this state of mind. Which is a great confidence booster and helps you in your day to day life, job and such. That's another nice side effect of the fitness life style. Obviously, you do not want to succumb to this feeling entirely. 


Dumb and Dumber

Thinking back about my failed "attempt" of Solo Sailing last month, it really showed my limits. I could have stretched those limits, but  this is when it was getting tricky, if not dangerous. It is good to be reminded that we are not limitless, first to constrict  our always developing ego and second to give us new challenge and to go over our boundaries.
Now, with winter coming in, I am pretty sure that Mother Nature will remind me of my limits in pretty obvious way. When the waves will reach advisory level on the North Shore, there will be plenty of room to reach and meet my fears.
Good. 
Exciting times.


No comments :

Post a Comment